Are you being nice to your skin? It’s important to put an end to the bad habits that can wreak havoc on your skin. Below are 15 bad skin habits to avoid so that your skin stays young and healthy looking.
* Smoking. You’ve heard it before. Smoking causes premature aging, wrinkling, yellowish tint to skin, increase in skin cancer. There’s no better time to quit than now.
* Excessive Drinking. A glass here and there isn’t harmful, but excessive drinking can cause increased sagging of the skin over time. Moderation is key!
* Skipping Sunscreen. We’ll say it again and again. Skipping a broad-spectrum sunscreen can eventually lead to skin cancer and premature aging. You should wear sunscreen on a daily basis. While we’re on the subject, stay away from those tanning beds too, as they are just as risky as exposing skin to the sun itself.
* Lack of Sleep. Not getting enough zzz’s can create a sallow complexion. Stress caused from lack of sleep can cause acne and other skin issues.
* Sleeping in Makeup. It’s simply a bad idea to leave a layer of makeup and dirt on your face overnight. Why take the risk of increasing breakouts on your skin?
* Picking, Popping and Scratching. These bad habits push bacteria into pores, causing infection and scars. Treat pimples with a 2.5% benzoyl peroxide in the evening instead and you’ll find that it will clear a lot quicker.
* Over-Exfoliating. Yes, you can get too much of a good thing. Too much exfoliant can dry and irritate the skin. Exfoliate just once a week if you have dry skin and twice a week for oily skin.
* Using the Wrong Products for Your Skin Type. Know your skin type and use the correct products to avoid breakouts, irritation, and dryness
Must Read : Top 11 Natural Anti-Aging Ingredients
* Neglecting the Neck and Chest. These areas are exposed just as much as your face. Products like sunscreen, moisturizers and even exfoliants, should be used on the neck and chest to prevent aging, wrinkling and skin cancer.
* Not Enough Attention to the Eyes. Signs of aging will show up in the eye area first due to the very thin skin. Use anti-aging eye creams or peptides to keep this skin moisturized and looking youthful.
* Not Cleaning Makeup Brushes or Sharing with Others. Simply put, if you don’t clean your makeup brushes, you will spread bacteria which leads to breakouts. Clean your makeup brushes weekly and be sure to let them fully air dry before storing to prevent more bacteria from forming.
* Phones. Wipe down phones regularly to avoid spreading bacteria to face and consider using the speakerphone when you chat.
* Not Consuming Enough Water. Sure, getting your eight glasses of water a day is good, but are you eating your water too? Fruits and vegetables help the body retain water better which means that cells can better absorb water and nutrients.
* Ignoring Moles and Other Skin Changes. Skin cancer that can be serious if left untreated, so be sure to visit your dermatologist for annual scans. If you find a new mole or change in a mole’s appearance, then call to be seen even sooner.
* Lack of Exercise. Regular exercise will increase blood flow and give you healthy skin. So get moving!