We all love styling our hair. But when it comes to clarifying our scalp and hair to get rid of the styling product-buildups, very few of us take it seriously. Come on, ladies! Be it dirt, dust, excess oil or styling products, buildups are always damaging for the health and shine of our hair. So, break up with that ickiness with some simple homemade clarifying products.
DIY Clarifying Shampoos For Hair
Here is a compilation of simple and easy homemade clarifying shampoo recipes that will not only make your hair free from buildups but also turn it softer, smoother, bouncier, and more voluminous. Have a look:
When it comes to clarifying hair naturally, nothing can beat the power of baking soda. This is the most basic recipe for a clarifying shampoo that you can ever try at home and it is as easy as 1-2-3! The recipe is basically divided into two parts and we have described each part separately:
Part 1: Baking Soda Mask / Rinse / Shampoo
- Baking soda – 2 tablespoons
- Warm water – 2 cups (for preparing the mask and rinse)
- A mild shampoo – 1 tablespoon (for preparing the shampoo)
- Apple cider vinegar – 2 teaspoons (optional)
There are several ways to prepare and use the hair clarifying mixture:
- Mask – Pour baking soda into a mixing bowl. Add warm water and keep stirring until a smooth paste is formed. If you want to add ACV, add it at this step and blend well. Apply the mask all over your scalp and hair. Massage the scalp gently for 5 minutes, wait for next 10 minutes and then, wash off with plain water. Adding ACV to the mixture will generate lather and help you get a foamy wash.
- Rinse – Take an empty spray / applicator bottle and spoon baking soda into it carefully. Add warm water to dissolve the baking soda completely and ACV (if desired) to make lather. Shake the bottle well with its lid closed in order to mix all ingredients properly. Now, flip your hair, dampen it a little, and pour the mixture over it. Work it through your scalp as well as locks by using your fingers. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes. Then, rinse off thoroughly with tepid water followed by plain cold water.
- Shampoo – Pour the shampoo onto your palm and add baking soda to it. Mix well and apply to your scalp. Massage for a few minutes. Let it sit for 10 more minutes. Then, shampoo your hair with your favorite herbal shampoo (or any other shampoo that is mild on your hair) and plain cold water.
Homemade clarifying shampoo recipes will not only make your hair free from buildups but also turn it softer, smoother, bouncier, and more voluminous…
Part 2: Acid Rinse
The bad part of a baking soda mask / rinse / shampoo is that it is alkaline. It can strip natural oils off your tresses and make them dry, dull, and frizzy. Hence, it is of utmost importance that you balance the high pH of baking soda with an acid rinse right after clarifying your hair. Here are a few choices:
- Diluted Apple Cider Vinegar: Mix 1 teaspoon of raw apple cider vinegar with 2 to 3 cups of water and rinse your hair with it.
- Diluted Lemon Juice: Squeeze out the juice of a large lemon into 3 cups of water and give your hair a good rinse with it. It works wonders for colored hair.
- Aloe Vera Juice: If the smell of ACV or lemon bothers you, prepare an aloe rinse by combining 2 tablespoons of fresh aloe vera juice with 2 cups of water and use it a final rinse.
- Citric Acid: Add 1 tablespoon of citric acid crystals to 2 cups of boiling water and wait until they dissolve completely. Rinse your hair with this concoction.
Using a bentonite clay mask is not only good for eliminating scalp buildups but it also helps in nourishing our scalp and improves our hair health substantially.
- Bentonite clay – (1/2) cup
- Warm water – 3 to 4 tablespoons
- Apple cider vinegar – 1 tablespoon (optional)
Add warm water to bentonite clay and keep stirring. It should form a thick yet spreadable paste with no lumps in it. Add ACV and blend once again. Keep the paste aside and let it sit for half an hour. Then, apply it to your damp hair to cover the entire scalp as well as the hair strands. Prevent the mask from drying out by wearing a shower cap or wrapping a plastic wrap around your head. Rinse it off after 15-20 minutes and condition your hair as usual.
Herbs like rosemary, thyme, etc. work as great natural hair clarifier. Moreover, they make the hair follicles stronger and promotes the growth of hair fibers.
- Dried herb (leaves of thyme / rosemary) – 4 to 5 tablespoons
- Distilled warm – 3 cups
Bring 2 cups of distilled water to a boil. Add dried leaves of herb to it and simmer for next 15 minutes. Strain the concoction and cool it down. Add the remaining water to it and stir well. Rinse your hair with this mixture right after shampooing.
So, here are your ways to get buildup-free hair with added softness, smoothness, volume, and bounce. Which one do you want to give a try?